RFE: disable object shading at SOP level toggle

2821   2   0
4140 posts
Currently it's pretty easy if you've assigned an object level shader with transparency to be in SOPs and not be able to see your geometry because of the alpha layer if the image. The problem right now is that intuitively-wise, you call up display, and turn off transparency. It does nothing. You need to find the nested Persp/menu entry of “Use obj material at SOP level” to disable this. It really needs to be more obvious and intuitive to change. Certainly a button alongside the headlights button on the right would be a good start. Also, it seems counter-intuitive that disabling transparency doesn't address this.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
スタッフ
1072 posts
There used to be just such a button in exactly the place you suggest, but we felt that it wasn't useful enough to warrant such exposure, and so removed it.

I agree that it is somewhat counter-intuitive that disabling transparency does not disable the early alpha test. Less charitably inclined people might even call it a bug.
4140 posts
And to think that right tab wasn't even going to exist back in alpha-land!

Anyway, I'd love to see it back, along with a bunch of other “hot buttons” that affect what you see. Maybe it's just me, but that right side in my setup has lots of room that could be used. I'm sure that's not the case on a small monitor, but nowadays with monitor sizes as they are…

I have a vision of the future where things like menu selections can be dragged and dropped onto side tabs and planted there. Removing ones that you don't use would be just as easy. Directory Opus on windows works like that.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
  • Quick Links