Save me $50 bux guys. Houdini 101: interface and work flow

4572   4   1
66 posts
Well, I went to that odforce.net and could not really get the detailed help I needed. So I paid the guy that did the cover art. $50 bux. Well, I am going to upload the zip file. The renders he did look alot different then the cover art but I think thats because It was the same image used over and over. Well he told me this.

*******Hi Bruce,

The errors are normal between different versions of Houdini. I'm using
the new h9.1 download. It's “normal” and can usually be ignored.

You need to adjust the number of copies in the copy SOP.

The cover art image on my DVD has more black in it than your images, so
there are greater areas will less visible. The cover art is actually
just a wire frame screen grab and not a nice, clean mantra render.

The image of yours with the eye is the best because the detail is
larger. The other two images would require a smaller crop on the main
part of the image. Or, increase the number of vertical lines (vertical
Copy SOP) and number of points in the top “line” SOP.

I renamed your images to be the same name with four digit padding. This
is how you would do this with a moving animation.

You can to to /img/img1 and just set the file COP to read only one
picture and not a sequence.*******

Well when I load up the file. My screen is black. I can not see any image.
As you can see his file path is CDOCUME~1/garman/MYDOCU~1/job/VOL/Bruce Docktor/textures/bruce_texture.$F4.jpg

How do I get my images to show up???
Also I am attaching a picture of the effected I wanted. But if you look at the renders he made in the .zip are different. I Think I pissed him off when I said something in the Email about it looking like crap thats why he said send more money before you call me. I am going on 3 months to get this effect and $100 later still no go.

Attachments:
Bruce_Docktor_H101_Cover.zip (1.2 MB)
vlcsnap-1648003.png (119.0 KB)

66 posts
Another image

Attachments:
Image_1.jpg (235.7 KB)

1390 posts
Hey relax!
I see this topic constantly and I don't understand what's you problem. I can only suspect that your current Houdini's skills don't allow you fully follow tutorial in quest. maybe you should work for a while on a simpler scene?

The scene you've attached here is fine. All you had to do was to replace path in COP FileIn for proper one in your system, does it make you trouble either?

Render looks different because the sequence used to color the geometry is also different. I don't remember this DVD (although I got one) so I don't know if you have an access to sequence used by German. If so, such apply it instead of current one.

Finally, you shouldn't post someone's personal emails without permission, This a bad habit!

(check *relative_path.hipnc)

cheers,
sy.

Attachments:
Bruce_Docktor_H101_Cover_relative_path.zip (1.2 MB)

66 posts
Thanks for your help. I think I got what I wanted. Its camera tricks. I saw your file and I did change the path last night but something must of been wrong I did it again just now and the Image shows up perfect. If you look stright forward you see no wavy lines. But if You move the camera around you get the lines. Ok this is what I wanted. I got it. Thank you so much for your help. I only posted the E-mail because He talks in code. I guess my only real question left if it is one. Would there be a way to render it out wireframe style ?!?

/tips hat

Attachments:
untitled1.jpg (19.6 KB)

257 posts
if it is just the curves that you want to render, attach a new “attribcreate” at the end of your sop network and name the pointattribute “width” (without the “”), give it a default value of 0.1 or bigger depending on the scale of your scene.

(This width attribute is used by mantra to render the curves, it can also be used for rendering points or particles)
Cg Supervisor | Effects Supervisor | Expert Technical Artist at Infinity Ward
https://www.linkedin.com/in/peter-claes-10a4854/ [www.linkedin.com]
  • Quick Links