Deforming Object

3892   5   0
7 posts
Anyone have a “cheap” way of deforming an object? For example, a heavy piece of steel falling a couple stories. Not much deforming going on, but definitely need some.

Currently I'm going about it by doing a standard RBD sim, then trying a lattice aftewards.. to my understanding this would be a fairly difficult task in strictly dops..

Figure, I'd ask if anyone else has any tricks or tips before I dive headfirst into this.

Thanks

Andy
665 posts
There's a some cool tricks that can be done with the SOP solver.

I believe there's a denting Torus in the examples that show a way to copy metaballs to impacts, and then apply them as deforming Magnents to the geo in SOP land.

-j
7 posts
yeah funny, I just thought of that. Maybe i'll try laying down some particles on the ground and let those do the deforming. Thanks for the reminder :wink:
スタッフ
3455 posts
have a look at the Squishy Object tool on the Create Particles shelf….
Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
1145 posts
Strange as it may seem you can think of your piece of steel like a wire. So, here's an I beam created by sweeping the profile on a line that has been passed through a wire solver.

Attachments:
ibeam_bend.hip (97.3 KB)

“gravity is not a force, it is a boundary layer”
“everything is coincident”
“Love; the state of suspended anticipation.”
7 posts
Great! thanks for the scene. It looks like we have something working out for now utilizing metaballs and magnet sop, but I'll definitely check this out. Thanks again
  • Quick Links