what is the different between $F and $FF

26666   5   2
23 posts
hi
houdini it is a very greate program and i never didn't see like this strong in one program
i have some problem with the translate from the english language to my mother lang :
so what is the $FF
i have read that is maen the :Floating point frame number
but i can't understand what is that maen
and about this word -floating- , in houdini this word is evry where -the floting point- and -the floating value- and the type of something can be a flot
so anyone can help me : what is the of -floating-
and i want to be sure about another word -integer- i think that the integer number is can be just 1-2-3-4…………. and can't be 1.5 or 3.7 or something like that
696 posts
This is correct, integer values are sometimes called fixed-point values, meaning that the decimal is fixed so that there are no fractional numbers.
0,1,2,3,4, …, n

Floating point numbers however have the flexibility that the decimal can “float” anywhere that you need it. This allows for fractions.
1.0,1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, …, n.n

$F refers to frames. Frames are integer values and most commonly you will have either 24, or 30 frames per second.

$FF refers to sub frames however. With particles and some other types of animation, you sometimes need to calculate things that happen between frames for precision. These are now floating values, so halfway between frame 1 and 2, you would have frame 1.5.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
23 posts
Allegro
thank you very much
7766 posts
“Fixed point” numbers are NOT the same thing as integers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-point_arithmetic [en.wikipedia.org]
696 posts
My bad

Leave it to the artist to get the math explanation wrong ops:

But leaving the term fixed-point out of the explanation, integers still work with no decimal in Houdini, while floats include decimals.
Stephen Tucker
VFXTD
3 posts
TLDR:
-Int (short for "Integer") are whole numbers, ie: 1, 2, 5, 34950, -7

-Float (short for "floating point numbers")are decimal numbers, ie: 3.123, 9.5874, -2364.987123

These terms are used in computer science / coding. int, float, char, half, double, bool are the c++ "words" that in the end... determine how many "bits" are used to represent the data, the ranges that are covered, the precision and how much memory to use/reserve for storing that data.

bit = 1 bit of information. on or off

bool = boolean = 2 values = 1 bit. (on or off)

byte = 8 bits of information. 256 possible values.

int = integer = a "whole number" (no decimal values allowed) = 32 bits.

float = floating point number = a decimal number = 32 bits.

double = a 64 bit float.

https://www.iitk.ac.in/esc101/05Aug/tutorial/java/nutsandbolts/datatypes.html [www.iitk.ac.in]

There are three kinds of integer and two kinds of float. The differences lie in "how many bits are used to represent them", and whether or not they are "positive only" vs. "positive and negative"
  • Quick Links