anisotropic shader

5409   3   2
80 posts
I had hoped the ‘brushed aluminium’ shader would give me an anisotropic look, but although it mimics this - the highlight and colour look right - you don't get any anisotropic-ness. Can Mantra achieve this, I don't seem to be able to locate a ramp UV which maya uses to make this kind of shader.

Any suggestions?

Attachments:
anisotropic001.jpg (5.5 KB)
anisotropic002.jpg (70.6 KB)

tea-time + rand(FF) = true
3 posts
I make anisotropic reflections using ashikhmin function in PBR. Sample vfl file can be found at odforce.net [forums.odforce.net].

Hope it helps
R.
156 posts
If you dive inside the shader, you will find a VOP network. You can create a ramp parameter and then link it to the S or T value.
“In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
711 posts
I haven't tried using ramps like moonlightkiss suggested, but you can also get good-looking results if your UVs are laid out properly (with regards to the “grain” of the surface). If you render with PBR you get nice anisotropic reflections as well, rather than just highlights. :] This shader here is basically a Specular VOP set to anisotropic and using the UVs.

• Quick Links