modeling questions

7874   12   0
70 posts
Hi everybody.

1. how can i smooth a geometry in houdini without adding new vertices to the object. something like auto smoothing in 3DS Max. i tried smooth node but it is not what i want.

2. How can i bound an object inside another one, so that when i, for example move the inner object, something like the pic below happens. creep can do this to some extent but it is not the exact same thing. any suggestions?

3. In blender you can select the whole geometry and then remove all the vertices that were very close to each other leaving just one of them–it was called remove doubles–. How is this done in Houdini?

Attachments:
sds.JPG (4.7 KB)

349 posts
1. Add a facetSOP and use the cusp polygons slider.

2. Not 100% sure what you are asking for here, but try adding a subdivideSOP, but make sure your editing is done before this node. Like have the display flag set to the subdivide, and have the previous node you will be working on templated.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c44/ragupasta/modeling.jpg [i24.photobucket.com]

3. If you use a dissolveSOP to remove edges, there is a toggle switch inside this node called “remove inline points”. This should do the trick. If not you will need to select those points and use a deleteSOP on them.
50 posts
For 3. take a look at the fuse SOP, it should do the trick.

Dan
120 posts
The clean SOP also worked well for me in removing vertices, if I remember correctly
70 posts
1. i couln't use facetSOP for that. are you sure it can smooth the object? what i understand from the help is the exact opposite.
houdini help facet sop: “Cusp Polygons: Creates hard edges between adjacent sides.”
but thanks ragupasta cause apperently mantra does the auto smoothing automaticly (am i right?) and i was wondering how to harden surfaces and facet does that.

how can i turn off the auto smoothing?

2. i want a boundary or border around my object which won't let the object inside it move out of it. like the picture. if you worl with creep you'll get what i mean. but the problem with creep is that it just bounds the object in 2 dimentions and it is projecting not bounding.

3. yes Fuse is what i was looking for. thanks Dan
70 posts
3. clean works too. but it doesn't eliminate very close one's. just eliminates points which are in the exact same position. thanks

any idea for th second question?
7733 posts
ramin22
2. i want a boundary or border around my object which won't let the object inside it move out of it.

Append a Bound SOP?
70 posts
i tried Bound Sop. that is the first thing that comes to mind but can you then move the object without the bound moving? i tried but couldn't do it. i want the object to touch the boundry and take it's shape like the pic above.
7733 posts
Sorry, I'm totally at a lost as to what you're asking.
70 posts
Hi edward
consider you want to model a balloon which is inside a small glass box. hope this can help you get what i mean.
349 posts
From what Im able to understand (I think…), you are wanting to model in a flat spot like a balloon touching a piece of glass and squashing flat?

If so select those points and scale them flat.
98 posts
Maybe something like that will work

Attachments:
sphereinsideBox.jpg (282.7 KB)
sphereInsideBox.hipnc (39.1 KB)

70 posts
YES that's what i was looking for. thank you very much Orr.
  • Quick Links