Light Object

3013   3   0
2624 posts
Hi ,
Under the hood , what is controlling the parameters on the light node. The asset just seems to have parameters exposed for the interface, no code , no scripts. I would like to know what is connecting to the toggle enabling it to turn the “ light ” on and off in the viewport for instance.

r
Gone fishing
320 posts
I can't speak for the “on / off” switch but most light parms are handled through soho via a light wrangler, which is a python script. If you visit the type properties for a light you'll notice the very last parameter is a string called “Light Wrangler” with a default value of “HoudiniLight”.

Browse to $HFS/houdini/soho/wranglers and you'll see HoudiniLightIFD.py HoudiniLightRIB.py, etc. These are responsible for which shader is being used for various light types and the mapping of parameters.

I think you could create your own wrangler and place it in $HOME/houdini10.0/soho if you had a light HDA that referenced it.
www.alan-warren.com
7726 posts
circusmonkey
I would like to know what is connecting to the toggle enabling it to turn the “ light ” on and off in the viewport for instance.

The fact that it is a light object, and that the toggle is of a predefined name. The viewport recognizes specially named parameters on objects.
2624 posts
Hi,
Thanks for the input. I knew there must be something controlling those params !

r
Gone fishing
  • Quick Links