houdini no icons, solution (at least for linux), please read

17016   10   2
5 posts
intro:wanting to get back with houdini(apprentice)I tried to install the latest version on my ubuntu karmic koala 64-bit. installation:good, starting up: bad
NO ICONS, slow ui
what would be the problem?
reinstall again and again, no fix….
console gives a hsvg related problem and points to libgio to blame for that.
an ldd on the hsvg shows that is links to library files in its own directory as well some on the /usr/lib directory(including libgio).
well there seems to be a conflict between the “half provided” libglib and the one installed on the system..
SOLUTION: just delete the libs at your “installation directory/hsvg” and let your system handle the links, the ui icons will be there when you start the program.

p.s.1 yes I know it's an unsupported system, but users who try the apprentice will usually do it on a unsupported system
p.s.2 I would really like a comment from a houdini developer
p.s.3 I can't seem to get past the license when trying to install 9.5, the accept button doesn't seem to be able to be pressed..
p.s.4 Sorry for creating another thread for this but it seemed right, If the mod wants please move to a similar thread
8 posts
fantastic!!! you solved my big problem!!! thanks!!!
スタッフ
1448 posts
p.s.2 I would really like a comment from a houdini developer
The default compiler on Karmic Koala is gcc4.4, and, at the moment, Houdini downloads provide at most gcc4.3. for Ubuntu 9.04. This is most likely the reason for missing library symbols.

p.s.3 I can't seem to get past the license when trying to install 9.5, the accept button doesn't seem to be able to be pressed..
Hmm.. looks like some graphics driver issue.. You may try to manually install licenses, but you will likely keep encountering this UI problem throughout using Houdini.
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=936&Itemid=319 [sidefx.com]
5 posts
thanx for your answer rafal but I (think) believe it also happened to me on a debian testing machine which had with the same gcc as the houdini but I didn't bother at that time to pinpoint the problem…
anyway, wouldn't it be wiser to include/link the whole glib library for the hsvg? I don't think it would make any big change for the download size.
スタッフ
1448 posts
I think we already ship the whole glib, except that we don't install it (or configure the library path) if the system already has a higher version of it. So, again it is probably related to the newer version of gcc/libraries that are on your system. But, I'll try to get someone to double check that.

cheers,
Rafal
スタッフ
1448 posts
So, I asked a colleague, and we indeed ship all the glib libraries and indeed the linux installer does not install it in $HFS/dsolib if the system already has a newer version.

I guess, you found a workaround, but if you run into this problem again, could you post the output of the “ldd hsvg” (or whatever application causes problems), so we can see what is missing.

cheers,
Rafal
8 posts
skotadopsyxos
thanx for your answer rafal but I (think) believe it also happened to me on a debian testing machine which had with the same gcc as the houdini but I didn't bother at that time to pinpoint the problem…
anyway, wouldn't it be wiser to include/link the whole glib library for the hsvg? I don't think it would make any big change for the download size.

My Debian (Testing) also had the same problem, thanks for your resolution (delete the libs). it works now
14 posts
Can somebody explain, how to delete libs and make everyting elese under ubuntu 9.10 ?

Cheers Primoz
14 posts
Just install 9.04, then install houdini. After that upgrade to 9.10. And: icons are good. Everything is working fine.
14 posts
It is dissaster. Problems with memory management, it craches all the time. Houdini is for now for 9.10 totaly unoperable. I switch back for 9.04.
8 posts
i get the exact same thing happening under windows.
no icons, unusable ui, slow as hell
tried everything..including going through all the possible display driver combinations. running on a geforce9800…
any ideas?

PS> getting rid of hsvg solves the viewport speed issue.
so its got something to do with that, but of course, there are no icons without it. i remember i didnt have any issues with previous houdini releases.
  • Quick Links