Ray Bounce in H10

4210   4   1
48 posts
I've just made the leap from H8 to H10 and find that things are in different places.

In H8 there used to be a “ray bounce” for each geometry object. I don't see this in H10. If I add a “rbounce” value to the geo then it either doesn't get send to mantra, or is not used in H10 mantra.

How does one specify a per object ray bounce value in H10?

Thanks,

Robert
Adtech Communications Group
1631 posts
Hey Robert,

The Reflect & Refract Bounce parameters have been replaced by the Reflect & Refract Limit properties which you have to add to the Object. Also, depending on the shader you use, the properties are already added to the shader so you don't have to add them to the object.

Hope the above helps!

Cheers!
steven
48 posts
Thanks Steven!

It works on the object level!

You say it can be done on the shader level? I've tried that and it isn't working. Are you sure it can be done on a shader level? I don't see any “canned” shader from Sidefx that have it, and when I add it there isn't a difference. What's the trick in shaders?

Thanks,

Robert
1631 posts
Hey Robert,

For shaders, you have to create a material. An example is the Glass material from the Material Palette. After you add it, go to SHOPs and dive into the material network. You'll see a Property SHOP which has the Reflect & Refract Limit properties added to it.

Cheers!
steven
48 posts
Hey Steven!

Got it!!

Things ARE different in H10 compared to H8! As Dorothy said to Toto; “We're not in Kansas anymore!”

The new arrangment looks to have more flexibility. Thanks for pointing in the right direction.

Robert
  • Quick Links