How can I pass a string array into a shader?

3373   3   0
127 posts
Hi,
I've been banging my head against the wall trying to get a way for an arbitrary length array of strings (names of texture files) to be passed into a piece of vex shader code.

However the only thing there seems to be a gui for is the color and float ramp. Having to hardcode the file names in defeats the point.

The only way found is very dirty and involves a file being written from houdini for the vcc pre-processor to read in.

Any better suggestions? Thank you.

Fabian
338 posts
I had the exact same issue. I have requested for an RFE to allow some sort of multiparm setup through vex. i.e We would have a set of parms under a folder which is tagged as a multiparm. Then in a similar fashion to a point cloud we run a while loop on a multiparm handle and this returns the requested data that we can store in an array.

Thus allowing you to create a library of textures or to have unlimited layering in a shader.

I would also like to see array support in vops, which im sure would help in making the multiparm set up more viable.

Cheers
Nick
127 posts
Hi,
thanks for the reply and I guess until that rfe has been implemented it'll just have to be done the dirty way. :twisted:

Fabian
89 posts
And it looks like vex arrays arent exposed in the HDK?

If they were it it should be no problem to write a vexop that could tokenize a list of textures.
  • Quick Links