Muscle paint workflow?

2325   2   1
7025 posts
Hi,

I almost wept with joy when I saw this in the Journal:

Houdini 11.0.470: Added ability to use Ctrl+MMB for selecting Muscle objects in the CaptureLayerPaint tool.

Then I get in there and discover the 2/3/4 point muscle Shelf too! Oh fabulous day!

So, I want to test it all. Everything works as expected except… when painting using the Capture Layer Paint, I have to bypass/unbypass the Layer Paint SOP before it will update the attributes and shows the new deformed geometry. I'm hoping this is unfinished/a bug? Yes, I'm working in Show Current Operator mode…

Also, I was disappointed to see the “flipping” muscle problems still persist. I know in one of the older tutorials there are workarounds for this, but really, this should “just work” IMO.

Finally, when testing this (see attached) setting a keyframe on the twist affector takes many seconds! Looking at the perf monitor, it looks like it's cooking everything over the frame range or something? No single operation is slow. Regardless, it's UIP (Unusable In Production) due to slowness.

EDIT: This file triggered a Event Queue Full and stopped updating after I added a keyframe to the Twist Affector. Just FYI.

Having said all that, it's super encouraging that things are being fixed and worked on here! If these issues can be cleared up, it'll be a big leap forward (again) for Houdini's character tools!

Cheers,

Peter B

Attachments:
char.rigtestsMuscleweight-0001.hip (130.6 KB)

7734 posts
Please log bugs through the support channels:
http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?option=com_forum&Itemid=172&page=viewtopic&t=15603 [sidefx.com]

BTW, you have “Assume Only Coordinate Changes in Input” on your DeformMuscle SOP, therefore preventing any changes to Cd from being redisplayed.
7025 posts
HI Edward,

Thanks for pointing that out, I will submit the (well known) flipping issue separately.

Cheers,

Peter B
  • Quick Links