Cool Houdini Tricks.

2786   3   0
197 posts
Seen as though there are a heap of awesome tricks inside Houdini that make using it awesome, I thought I'd try starting a thread for people to upload hips/hipncs, explain methods or share links to stuff, I'll post one soon, when I get the time. This is a great way to share some awesome methods for awesome stuff and I hope people agree, in future when i finish my website I'll make a section there for this kind of stuff.
197 posts
Okay this isn't amazing but why not.
1. Create a Utah teapot or some other cool geometry.
2. Scale it by like 10 times, if you used the teapot.
3. Connect it to a ‘points from volume’ node, and change the point separation to .5 or 1.
4. Drop down a box, make it the size in each axis as the points from volume (You can link them to make it easy to make adjustments).
5. Drop down a copy node and plug the points from volume into the template input (Right side) and the box into the other input.

I thought of this method while doing a video that used an over complicated approach, this is really quick and easy, and if you bring the cool brick objects into dops can produce cool results.

For quicker simulation I use simple geometry than do this afterwards.
1. Drop down a connectivity sop connecting it to the rendered geo file sop.
2. Name the attribute: Boxbevel, and change it to Primitive connectivity type.
3. Drop a for each sop down changing it to each attribute value, and put Boxbevel as the attribute.
4. dive inside the for each and add a bevel. and anything else i want to happen to all the boxes.

I than render this again, which is slow but better than doing it all at once, because houdini freezes often (I've got an average computer).
7734 posts
Have you seen this website?

http://www.papicrunch.net/GC-houdb/ [papicrunch.net]

(click on “Display the collection”)
197 posts
Wow, a nice collection indeed.

PS. Had I known you were a developer I wouldn't have questioned your opinion, with the HBatch thing .
  • Quick Links