voronoi fracture - controlling the fracture shape

6114   4   1
48 posts
Hi i'm coming from modo. I want to do a simple box falling and then fractured when hit the ground. The problem is most of the time , the fracture shape seem to be quite ‘uniform’ so i do couple of things to make it more ‘natural’. The steps i took was to utilize the Cd attribute , paint the point distribution and scatter it and send it result to voronoi fracture node. The result of scattering quite promising but when i saw the fractured result, it's not like what i'm after. For example the interior of the box. How can i control the fracture point within the box volume ? Can you guyz give me any advice to create realistic fracture shape. Anyone can share any script or any link ? I saw the one that is good from rayfire plugin(3dmax). I believe houdini can do that , the only thing is i don't know how to achieve something like that.

Most of houdini tutorial about shatter or fracture which i saw was using thin object . So no thickness /volume to worry about.

Thanks
Andi
390 posts
you need to also scatter points inside the box. you can use a points from volume sop, but this will also be very uniform. a good way i think is to make a volume out of the box, and then in a volume vop add noise to the volume, then scatter points based on density.

if you have an area that you know you want to have lots of pieces, just make the volume in that area more dense. you can do this with a volume mix or volume merge sop, which follow simple ab compositing rules

another thing to keep in mind is that you can change the shape of the box before you fracture it and then change it back afterwards. this is how people usually do things like wood (squashing and fracturing and then stretching) or curvy fractures (twisting, fracturing and untwisting)
48 posts
Thanks a lot. Sounds technical :-) as many new ‘vocabulary’ for me, but i'll try it. i'll be back when i got problem. Btw can you explain a bit about ‘to make a volume out of the box’ ?

Thanks !
443 posts
To make a volume out of the box simply use ISOOFFSET SOP or VOLUMEVOP SOP. It's good idea to use VORONOIFRACTUREPOINTS SOP after volume. It gives you more randomness.
48 posts
PradeepBarua
To make a volume out of the box simply use ISOOFFSET SOP or VOLUMEVOP SOP. It's good idea to use VORONOIFRACTUREPOINTS SOP after volume. It gives you more randomness.

Great…. Thanks a lot . I'll check that SOP.
  • Quick Links