Multiple Sprites randomly applied to particle system.

3047   1   0
2 posts
Afternoon!

In Houdini FX 12.1.33, I'm looking to create a particle system with 10-20 image sequences applied as sprites that are randomly assigned on a per particle basis.The image sequences should start at a random frame within their sequence and loop.

(phew)

I currently have a single looping image sequence applied to all of the particles in the system.

Any idea on how to accomplish this? Searches have left me empty handed. Meddling in Houdini has consumed many an hour for few results. I would appreciate any insights!

Thanks.
53 posts
There are two components to rendering sprites - there is the Mantra Sprite Procedural which sets up the sprite geometry on each particle at render time, and there is the sprite shader which controls how they are shaded.

You can use attributes on your particles to override the texture settings on the sprite shader. You need to name the attributes identically to the sprite shop shader parameters, and then make sure they are being transferred to the sprite - there is a parameter on the sprite procedural that controls which attributes get transferred.

Creating attributes on your particles you can either randomise the attributes using for example an expression like floor(rand($PT) * 10) or if you need a limited number of varients then you can use the group pop to divide your particles randomly into say five groups and then set different attriutes on each group.

Peter
Peter Quint
  • Quick Links