importing

8647   27   1
10 posts
How do I import an .obj file from zbrush to Houdini? when I try I dont see the file.
1391 posts
Charles Adams
How do I import an .obj file from zbrush to Houdini? when I try I dont see the file.

Maybe your model is so big in the scene , select the File node and press “SPACE + G” on the viewport ,Also to make sure that your obj file imported to the Houdini correctly ,Hold MMB on the file node and check point's informations , If you have too many points ,So your model imported correctly :wink:
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
10 posts
Still cannot import an obj file into Houdini apprentice. I have a file from a cmivfx tutorial that has the network node but no file shows in the perspective view. I have tried zooming in and out but still nothing. Please help. in the tutorial there seems to be no issues with importing the file. Why cant I? It is the Houdini Bipedal animation tutorial,
1391 posts
Please upload your obj file for testing , Did you use MMB on the file node like before that I said !? do you have any information like point's and polygon number !?
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
10 posts
i cannot add an attachment
4189 posts
You'll get more help if you'd posted in the Apprentice forum as this is a basic 3d procedure.

Not sure why you aren't testing a simply torus from Apprentice; export it as an .obj with a RMB ‘Save Geometry’. Then follow Joker's suggestions like MMB to see if there is any info coming in.

You should be able to attach this forum using .zip compression.

Try to import the torus.obj attached

Attachments:
Torus.obj.zip (1.7 KB)

10 posts
Torus file imported perfectly
17 posts
few things i figured.

1. make sure your obj from zbrush contains 1 polygroup. if not when your re import in zbrush it will shift the point numbers.

2.there was an annoying bug that i get from build 376 that spilts my obj file in where the uv seams are located. not gonna happen if your using 343. idk about the latest versions. be aware of that.

3.do preliminary mesh integrity check in zbrush before you import to houdini.
if you dont sometimes you get separated polygons faces and end up with a heavy point count and faceted obj file.

other than that my transfer was successful
10 posts
Main problem I am having is…..when i try to import an obj. file from Houdini Bipedal Animation( cmivfx) I get ChrisMaynardMudboxExport2 node in the network editor and a cube with a move handle in the perspective view. Thats it. Dont know what to do from there. definitely dont see the same character that is on his screen in the tutorial. Getting frustated but I dont give up easy. This is also a similar problem that I had when I tried to import am obj. file from zbrush.
4189 posts
Not sure what you're doing; it works here in Apprentice with ‘ChrisMaynardMudboxExport2.obj’

Attachments:
Screen Shot 2014-05-26 at 8.25.49 am.png (132.0 KB)

10 posts
Hmmmm dont understand why it wont work for me but it is fine for you????
10 posts
I have tried multiple time and I have the network node but cannot see the character at all, just a cube?!! My email address is charles_adams_2010@yahoo.com if you want to email me I will give you my cell # and you can call me and maybe help me that way, any help with this would be appreciated, I am frustated!!
4189 posts
Best to keep posting here, it always helps others; it is guaranteed that if one person is having an issue there are ten others who are as well.

Start by uploading you .hipnc project file and we can take a look to check the file paths. Thanks!
1391 posts
Charles Adams

I say again please upload your obj file , and tell me about MMB information on your file SOP , there is too many reason for this problem and If we don't have your obj file , so we can't help you perfectly !

Check your obj file in the another 3D software like Maya :?
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
10 posts
Well, until I hear from Chris at cmivfx I will move on. Anyone who might want to call me and help can email me at charles_adams_2010@yahoo.com and I will be glad to give you my cell phone # if you think can help me with this. There are other tutorials and files I can use, Thx everyone for all your ideas.
10 posts
I am using Windows 8 and my wife installed Houdini ver .401 on her Windows 7 computer and then tried to import the same file from cmivfx as I was trying with the exact same results. ??????
1391 posts
Charles Adams
I am using Windows 8 and my wife installed Houdini ver .401 on her Windows 7 computer and then tried to import the same file from cmivfx as I was trying with the exact same results. ??????

Which cmiVFX file !?
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
22 posts
Hi Guys,

I've got the same issue. I've tried to import the Torus OBJ file but it still doesn't import it. It shows this message: “Unable to read file”. I'm running the 13.0.401 Apprentice release, but I've also tried with the .376 one. It doesn't work.

I attach a screen shot to show you it. :wink:

Attachments:
stamp.jpg (441.6 KB)

4189 posts
Try with a full file path, not $hip, as you haven't saved the file yet.
22 posts
Hi MartybNz,
Thank you for your fast answer. I've just tried to type the full path but it still doesn't read it.. I've tried to save the scene and import it again, but nothing yet.
  • Quick Links