I'm having trouble with this tutorial that's online

4528   2   1
20 posts
Hi, I found a tutorial here [cmivfx.com] on how to move particles along Lsystems. I downloaded it, and started working on it, but I'm stuck now, no matter how many times I redo the steps up to this point, it doesn't work right. I think the mistake I made is somewhere between the 4 minute mark and the 5 minute mark on the video. I've included a copy of my current .hip file for anyone to download and look at. If someone could download this tutorial, try it out, and see what I'm doing wrong, I'd really appreciate it.

P.S. I'm using houdini 8.0.410 by the way.

Attachments:
lsystem_tutorial.hip (94.0 KB)

77 posts
Screwtape
Hi, I found a tutorial here [cmivfx.com] on how to move particles along Lsystems. I downloaded it, and started working on it, but I'm stuck now, no matter how many times I redo the steps up to this point, it doesn't work right. I think the mistake I made is somewhere between the 4 minute mark and the 5 minute mark on the video.

P.S. I'm using houdini 8.0.410 by the way.

If you look at ~4:55 in the tutorial the _ptnum output of the “For” vex operator has somehow magically been connected to the ptnum input of the importattrib operator. (“magically” … as the video doesn't show him manually connecting it, or explaining how it got connected). Either it automatically got connected somehow with whatever version of the software he's using, or that step was erased from the video.

Your file didn't have that connection, and neither did mine the first time I did the “tutorial”. I use that word loosely as he runs through the steps so quickly it's not really a tutorial in as much as a screen capture of an expert connecting a fairly complex network (to a newbe) while he works at blazing speed :shock:

When I manually connected it everything works from that point on.

** Also the original “external” neighbor1 operator is deleted and presumably replaced by the “internal” neighbor (inside the “For” network).

I haven't used Lsystem's yet, what's the end objective / idea of this tutorial? … where could you use / apply the built effect (particles flowing on an Lsys ?)

Mike
20 posts
awesome, thanks so much for pointing that out, I thought maybe something like that happened, but I could not figure out what it was that I missed. As for the usefulness of this whole tutorial, I'm not QUITE sure yet, I plan on finishing it, then hopefully figuring out a use for it on a project I'm working on. It sounds potentially useful though.
  • Quick Links