"The Magic of Houdini", ch. 10 trouble

3751   2   0
194 posts
I downloaded the project files from the web, but don't see a project file called soccerballComplete.hip in the chapter5 folder, which is mentioned on p. 217 of the book. I only see soccerball.hip, but it is missing the dispRender node mentioned further in the text. Am I missing something?
57 posts
hi whalerider,
sorry, but it appears you have run into one of the likely many small mistakes in the text. try as we might, some still slip through. just use the soccerball.hip from the chapter 5 folder and drop a null node named dispRender at the bottom of the network chain. you should be able to proceed merrily from there. i hope you are finding it helpful even yet!

salud,

will
194 posts
Thanks, Will. I figured it out by looking at the completed project file that's in the chapter 10 folder.

I am seeing quite a few typos/grammar errors. Almost all of the time they don't affect the overall meaning, but there are some cases when I wonder how to interpret a sentence. E.g., ch. 12 - p. 291, Springs and Damping, end of first paragraph: “…with the strength of each spring being influenced
by the linear spring constant angular spring constant”. Did you mean both constants (missing “and”)? I looked in the helpcard for the Wire Object DOP and it says that both have to do with the wire strength - the first is related to stretching, the second - to bending. But I'd rather not have to make guesses on scientific subjects.

Overall, I think this book is one of the best - if not the best - software-specific CG training book I've ever purchased. Still, the next edition will benefit from more thorough proofreading, IMHO.

will c
hi whalerider,
sorry, but it appears you have run into one of the likely many small mistakes in the text. try as we might, some still slip through. just use the soccerball.hip from the chapter 5 folder and drop a null node named dispRender at the bottom of the network chain. you should be able to proceed merrily from there. i hope you are finding it helpful even yet!

salud,

will
  • Quick Links