AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3990x for Houdini, what do you think?

4215   4   0
15 posts
Hi All,

I am planning a new workstation for Houdini. And I want to know what you all think about the configuration below. I want to make sure that Houdini would benefit from everything in the configuration and I am not wasting money on something that Houdini won't benefit from.

CPU: AMD Threadripper 3990X 2.9 GHz 64-Core Processor
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte TRX40 AORUS PRO WIFI ATX sTRX4
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 256 GB (8 x 32 GB) DDR4-3200
STORAGE: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive + Western Digital Black 4 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
VGA: MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB GAMING X TRIO

I really need experts opinions before I make the decision of buying the workstation .
1755 posts
it's not so much about what Houdini benefits from, but what your focus is - modeling, animation, rebdering, simulation?
with that set-up you're good to go with any of these, but it might be overkill for some of them.
15 posts
My primary use with Houdini mostly would be creating procedural systems (including modeling) and VFX for games.
1755 posts
In that case you can get away with a lower price cpu and half (probably a quarter most likely) the amount of ram. For this type of work, higher performance per cpu core is better than more cores.
Are you a beginner in 3d or just Houdini? Seems like you shouldn't concern yourself with the hardware right now.
Like a first time Everest climber should consider other things before the equipment.
Don't sink in too much money into a workstation before you're 100% sure you'll be able to milk it and that, no one here, can tell you whether it's going to happen or not.
15 posts
Yes I will take your advice, what you wrote makes sense, thanks . I have been trying to learn Houdini full time now since few months and still trying to get a hang of things in Houdini, I know it will take some time but I am not giving up .

Me and my brother are developing a game in Unreal Engine 4 and we are planning to include procedural assets in our game to make it more dynamic. Following is the link to the teaser trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNctaj683H0, [www.youtube.com] lots of work remaining still.
  • Quick Links