Help with CHOP Pipe In Data reading from a 6doF controller

740   2   0
4 posts
Hello,

I have a Space Pilot controller which has values translation (tx, ty, tz) and rotation (rx, ry, rz) sent to a Houdini Pipe In Chop Network.

My goal is to use this controller to navigate the camera and using a solver to change camera position based on how hard the controller is pushed.

I have noticed the CHOP network only refreshes when a frame is changed to the next frame.

Please help me achieve a fluid stream of data with a CHOP network and perhaps a method of reading these values inside a solver.

Thanks,

-Jason
134 posts
have you tried just using the mouse3d node I dont have a 3d controller but the mouse and gamepad node updated without changing frames so im assuming it would just work. You can then also set the sample rate to be much higher than 30 in the Channel settings something like 120 or higher.

To export the channels to the camera,you can find a example of this by right click on any channel on the camera and adding motionfx to it. It will set up a chop network that exports data to that channel of the camera so you can see how that is set up.

hope this helps
4 posts
I was able to get Space Pilot controller data to be Piped In via CHOP Network and I'm using a python callback (hou.ui.addEventLoopCallback) to read values during idle.

Thanks for suggesting Mouse3D, but I tried that out and have had some issues where Space Pilot would take over my mouse controls.

I am now working towards changing camera parameters to the motion of the Space Pilot.

Attachments:
Screenshot from 2022-10-12 11-49-58.png (440.7 KB)

• Quick Links