How to import into UE5

821   1   1
1 posts
I have a question. I am thinking about getting Houdini Indie but the only thing stopping me is me being unsure of how and if vfx and animation files can be imported from Houdini into Unreal Engine 5. I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, just how to import static meshes, not vfx and animations. Not planning on making static meshes in Houdini since we use Blender for that, just the vfx portion really, and some animation since Niagara in UE5 has its limitations on what it can do, and in Blender they look unrealistic.

Oh, and also a side question: How would you go about saving these files to put on a website?

Any help would be much appreciated so that I can make a decision if I want to purchase it or not.
4 posts
As far as I know, these require manual export from Houdini to Unreal:
- Groom Assets (Hair)
- Alembic Geometry Caches (Non-skeletal animated geometry)

It's a pretty straight-forward experience to import these into Unreal. Skeletal animations can be individually exported as .fbx files and imported to Unreal.

As for saving these files, Alembic is among many file formats in which Houdini is able to export geometry. I recall seeing a few animated meshes made from alembic on Sketchfab, might be possible on other websites as well.
  • Quick Links