Using UE object as volume for scattering with HDA?

474   1   1
3 posts
Hey there!

I've just started using Houdini Engine for UE and I have ran into a little problem.

Basically, what i'm trying to do is to scatter assets on a custom geometry inside of Unreal, and the scattering can only take place within the bounding volume of a box geometry. So I need to feed both the scatter geo and bounding box geo from Unreal into the Houdini HDA.

Here's the process so far:

1. I have a mountain geometry in Unreal Engine(imported as fbx).
2. I have made a simple test HDA in Houdini that scatters geometry onto the input geometry (the mountain geo in this case), I want the scattering to be based on a box or any other asset that I use as the "World Input" within the HDA inside of Unreal.
3. The expected result is that the scattering should only take place within the bounding region of the Unreal Engine box geometry.

I attached an image below showing this:

In the image you can see that it kind of looks like it's working, but it's because the Unreal session to the left has an "old" version of the HDA where i had the node "TEST_TEMP_GROUND" connected (the red node in the Houdini session to the right), which meant that I was using geometry from Houdini as the base geo intead of it coming from Unreal.

It's hard to describe the problem since I don't really know where it goes wrong, or if what i'm doing is even possible.
But it feels like Unreal can't/won't pick up two separate "World Inputs" which I feed through the "Object Merge" nodes.
As you can see in the image to the left I get it to work, but that's when I only have one "World Input" connected instead of the two that I need in this case.

Any ideas?
Basically I want to control which area of a geometry I scatter on in some way. If there are better solutions i'm all ears :-)
Edited by Fabazo - 2024年2月2日 09:08:57

Attachments:
HoudiniEngine_Unreal_issue_A_001.jpg (652.5 KB)

3 posts
UPDATE, SOLVED:

So instead of running both the mountain geo + the bounding volume geo through object merges within Houdini, I instead ran the Mountain geo through the first input of the HDA, and then I let the bounding volume geo remain going through the object merge.

I don't know why this works as opposed to having all geometry run through object merges since the official docs makes it sound like object merges and HDA inputs can be used interchangably for these scenarios.

So if anyone has any explanation for that i'm all ears!
  • Quick Links