Transfer mode in shaders

4438   4   1
2 posts
Hi. I spent last 2 months on different tutorials and couldn't find any tips how to make it. You are my last hope…
I'm trying to achieve different transfer modes for particles or surfaces. (Look in attachment) for example two 50% gray surface should gave me 100% white color on intersections (not 50% gray like it making mantra with 50% transparent standart material). Some kind of Add/Overlay blending mode. Hope you understand what i want.

Attachments:
color-issue.jpg (64.8 KB)

1391 posts
I do know what do you want to do ,But I don't know why you don't use Compositing !? :?

I think the best way to achieve this idea is to use Plus/Add layers in the Compositing :?

However I have a really simple Idea to do that in the Rendering process ,I don't know But maybe it's can be help you :

Add Output Opacity from your material with (Input Opacity * -1 ) :idea:

So if you have 2 grid with opacity of 0.5 ,Final Opacity in the Intersection area is 1

Also If you have 3 grid with opacity of 0.5 ,Final Opacity in the Intersection area is 1.5

Check Attached File

Attachments:
JKOpacity.hip (206.0 KB)

https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
2 posts
Joker386
I do know what do you want to do ,But I don't know why you don't use Compositing !? :?

I think the best way to achieve this idea is to use Plus/Add layers in the Compositing :?

However I have a really simple Idea to do that in the Rendering process ,I don't know But maybe it's can be help you :

Add Output Opacity from your material with (Input Opacity * -1 ) :idea:

So if you have 2 grid with opacity of 0.5 ,Final Opacity in the Intersection area is 1

Also If you have 3 grid with opacity of 0.5 ,Final Opacity in the Intersection area is 1.5

Check Attached File

I don't use compositing because it look too fake and hard to achieve right result.

Thank you, your idea is doing exactly what i want. I don't understand why it working in this way, but it works perfect. Thank you.
1391 posts
I don't understand why it working in this way

Because default Alpha blending formula is :
A over B = A + B (1-a)
a = a1 * a2

for example :
0.5 + 0.5 * (1 - (0.5 * 0.5)) = 0.75

But you wanna add/plus two layers with together , So the formula is :

A Add B = A + B

for example :
0.5 + 0.5 = 1

exactly like Nuke software 8)
https://www.youtube.com/c/sadjadrabiee [www.youtube.com]
Rabiee.Sadjad@Gmail.Com
1 posts
Joker386
I don't understand why it working in this way

Because default Alpha blending formula is :
A over B = A + B (1-a)
a = a1 * a2

for example :
0.5 + 0.5 * (1 - (0.5 * 0.5)) = 0.75

But you wanna add/plus two layers with together , So the formula is :

A Add B = A + B

for example :
0.5 + 0.5 = 1

exactly like Nuke software 8)

Hello, I am new in Houdini. Is it possible to create this effects in different renderers like Arnold or Octane?
  • Quick Links