Random file instantiation

2566   3   2
98 posts
Hello,

Perhaps I'm too tired today, but I've stumbled with a silly problem I cannot figure out how to solve. Basically, I have a set of primitives/points, and I want to load a different asset for each primitive based on a random selection. I also have to do some extra operations (scalings, complex rotations, etc), so I believe cannot use the standard copy node… perhaps I'm wrong on this, too, but I'll leave this for later thoughts.
To illustrate my problem, I've created a dummy demo that uses an object_merge instead of the file asset, a few coloured cubes instead of loaded assets, and a silly copy node to place the cube at the corrsponding point position. As you can see, every time yo force the object_merge to re-cook, it shows a grid of a different color. But what I want is a single grid with a random color distribution on it. I don't care if the distribution changes every time I reload the file or I force the cooking of the nodes, but I do not want a uniform grid!
Is there any way to force the object_merge to re-cook for every primitive/point? I haven't been able to find one…
Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

best regards

dagush.-

Attachments:
testRandomAsset.hipnc.zip (22.7 KB)

————————-
* skylineEngine project coordinator
* buildingEngine module developer
http//ggg.udg.edu/skylineEngine
731 posts
Stamping is what you want!

Attachments:
testRandomAsset2.hipnc (646.5 KB)

Sean Lewkiw
CG Supervisor
Machine FX - Cinesite MTL
98 posts
Dear mrCatfish,

Thanks for your answer! Actually, following from it, I've discovered that the copy-stamp mechanism allows you to do things that you cannot do with a foreach-primitive method. That is, I've done several experiments with and without a ‘stamp’ expression in my nodes, and I've discovered the expression forced the node to re-cook, while without it cooking was performed once or twice for the whole scene!

thanks!!!

best regards

dagush.-
————————-
* skylineEngine project coordinator
* buildingEngine module developer
http//ggg.udg.edu/skylineEngine
8635 posts
dagush
… I've discovered that the copy-stamp mechanism allows you to do things that you cannot do with a foreach-primitive method…

you can stamp in foreach too so it's rather matter of choosing right technique for the right task, both are pretty similar in flexibility but they are used for different things
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links