Using multiple constraints in a wire simulation

2470   3   0
5 posts
Hi everyone,

I am struggling with this specific problem for almost 3 days and couldnt find a workaround. Basically what I want to achieve is that I want to have softbodies scattered on some points. The points move and get closer and the soft bodies squeezes. The problem is, when I move the object which points I use for distribution, wireobjects doesnt follow them. So I tried to use wire glue constraint but having a hard time to use it for all object instances.

If you look at the example file, you will see 25 spheres copied over the points of a grid. The grids scale is animated so spheres come close to each other and I want them to squeeze. I managed to constrain 6 of them by manually entering right constrain points (every sphere has 43 points so I simply entered = 0 42 84 126 168 210)
How can I constrain all sphere procedurally? Is there a way to write an expression for the “constrained points” field in the wire glue constraint?

Thanks in advance

Attachments:
SoftConstraint.hipnc (119.0 KB)

8622 posts
you can reference group in that parameter
so group your base point on the sphere before copying then put the name of the group in Constrained Points parameter
here is example

Attachments:
softconstraint_fix.hipnc (113.0 KB)

Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
5 posts
Woo! that was quick and a great solution. I was afraid that I am heading completely to the wrong way and should find another approach. Thank you!

Since I catched you, there goes another quick question related to the topic:
When the point count changes (animate the rows for example) wiresolver throws an error saying it isnt matching with the input geo.
Is there a solution for that?

Thanks again, I was literally in pain
8622 posts
you cannot change point count for wire object's input geometry just like that since it is compared to simulated geometry and rest pose
they all need to have the same point count, so you will need to update Geometry and RestGeometry data for wire object with SOP Solver before Wire Solver. It depends on what you want to achieve
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links