Stop the camera from re-setting.

4995   7   1
127 posts
Hi,
when using the space+1(2,3,4,5) keyboard shortcuts the camera resets everytime which is a major time killer in terms of zooming in again to where you were. Where is there an option to stop this? I've been through the docs, display options and preferences but can't find the option.

Thank you,
Fabian
スタッフ
1182 posts
Rather than using those hotkeys, you may prefer setting up four views then using spacebar-b to bring them up and minimize them as needed. This way the camera view and any background images remain intact.
Robert Magee
Senior Product Marketing Manager
SideFX
127 posts
Thank you for the tip. I'll be using that as an alternative workflow then.
-Fabian
スタッフ
2540 posts
If you have the screen real estate, you can tear off another viewer pane set to your camera.
There's at least one school like the old school!
127 posts
Hi, yep there are ways around this but it's still a bit annoying not being able to use keyboard shortcuts to go between camera views without having to re-frame or switch tabs or minimize, move mouse over correct window in 4-window view and maximize again.

I assume the viewport code does not have a variable for remembering anything but the transformation of the currently active camera so as you switch it has to get re-initialized everytime the view is switched. I guess it can be added to the list of little bit of gui polish which would be nice to have.

All the best,
Fabian
696 posts
if you left click on the label beside the viewport name (upper right) you can see 2 options named “previous camera” and “next camera”. They work like undo and redo for camera view. If there's not a key shortcut for it already you can assign one in the hotkey manager (edit>hotkeys…).
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
127 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply but they don't work like undo-redo, it just cycles between cameras one has set up from what I understand (at least in H11).

What I'm talking about is when using hotkeys Space + {1 2 3 4 5} every time the view is totally reset. So eg. I'm tweaking some UV's I can't toggle between UV and perspective view using Space 1 and Space 5 so I can work full screen and see what I'm doing. Or going into side view to easily select certain points and go back to perspective to move the points there where they look best.

Roberts workflow is probably the best workaround. However it's a three step (Space+b, click on viewport you want maxed, Space+b) instead of a 1-step operation. No big deal in the grand scheme of things but a hassle and slowdown during certain situations. It's just little things like this and the half-broken snap tools for example that could be fixed with a minimum of effort compared to the other gargantuan things SESI manages to pull off and would make the everyday interaction smoother. But I guess most users are td's hacking away in the network and parameter panes most of the day in which case none of this matters much.

All the best,
Fabian
696 posts
I see your point, maybe it just coincided for me when I used it it switched back to the camera I had before so I thought it worked that way.

I recently found though a memory toolbar in the viewport (right click the viewport name) that lets you store a number of views and quickly retrieve them. It doesn't replace your request, but might help.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
  • Quick Links