Weirdly long rendering merged geo particles

2294   4   1
68 posts
Hello,

I'm rendering 240 frames in Mantra. The scene contains particle .bgeo file nodes (10 of them). Three lights. So I get into rendering completely upto 71 frames with frame 71 taking 4 minutes. But, it takes forever to render frame 72.

I tried rendering frame 72 in render view window and it renders just fine. All the frames I tried, 72 and forward, are taking too long. The info at the bottom reads 1%.

System ram reads less than 5gb of 12gb. All threads are working hard.

I also checked the particle count. It's roughly around 1.1m in all frames.

What should I do? Thank you
390 posts
do frames 73 + take long to render as well or is it just 72 that is slow? also is your shell spitting anything out at frame 72?
68 posts
Thanks for the reply zdimaria.

There is no info on shell (that's the console window right?). The rendering window (the one that pops up when render button in mantra rop is clicked) reads “Rendering”.

Yes, when I try to render frames beyond 72, it's been rendering for more than 2 hours. I also tried restarting from frame 1 but got the same result once it reached frame 72.

But, when I render in render view, frame 72 render finishes in about 4 minutes.
2624 posts
Frame 72 > do you have motion blur turned on ? if so on that frame do you have particles whizzing close to camera.

Rob
Gone fishing
696 posts
This sounds like a bug, but to be sure, try rendering the particle caches one at a time, just frame 72. That way you might be able to find out if the problem is with your particles or something else that is bugging houdini.
Also you might want to turn up verbose level in your mantra ROP. Also launch your houdini session from a shell in order to have the messages output to it.

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
  • Quick Links