Load STL

14365   9   2
52 posts
Can't load stl files in Houdini. STL is listed as one of the object import types, but it does not work.
I exported an object from meshlab in obj and stl format. Houdini loads the obj file but I get an error when I try to load the stl version. “Unable to read file …”. I was hoping this might work in Houdini 13.

Has anyone loaded an stl file?

Brad
Brad Carvey
181 posts
I haven't had any luck importing an STL natively into Houdini 13 either.

Sometimes Houdini's gconvert can offer more control over translation settings for incoming geometry:

gconvert infile outfile
599 posts
Chronon
I haven't had any luck importing an STL natively into Houdini 13 either.

It's probably a binary STL file. Try renaming it to <file>.bstl and see if it now loads.

I'll check in a fix for tomorrow's build that will make the STL reader automatically try to load as a binary, if the ASCII load fails. This is not guaranteed to work either, since the binary STL format has no magic marker to identify itself as such. So if the file is still garbage, you'll end up with a pretty abstract painting-style geometry instead.
Halfdan Ingvarsson
Senior Developer
Side Effects Software Inc
52 posts
Renaming stl to bstl works!!!!

My stl files are typically very large. Many times they are well over a Gbyte. So, I only use binary stl files. I changed the extension from stl to bstl and everything worked.
Brad Carvey
52 posts
I checked the stl format specification.

ASCII STL files start with text “solid” plus a name, on the first line.
solid name

Binary STL starts with 80 character header, which is rarely used, but should never contain solid.
UINT8 – Header
UINT32 – Number of triangles

If first line contains text = solid, then it's binary
else it is ascii
Brad Carvey
1743 posts
It'd probably be fairly easy for me to update gstl, the program that loads in STL files in Houdini. I'll check in the morning.
Writing code for fun and profit since... 2005? Wow, I'm getting old.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_HFmdvpe9U2G3OMNViKMEQ [www.youtube.com]
52 posts
Off topic question for ndickson.
I am new to Houdini. I will be purchasing Houdini FX in the next few days. I used Apprentice HD to create the cover for the latest issue of Nature Magazine, my first project with Houdini. The embargo was lifted today, so I can talk about it. Should I post the cover on the forum? Where? I thought that Side Effects and Houdini users might like to see it.

Just saw the image in preview. I need to color correct it for viewing on a screen. The gamma is set for print. I will get the version that they added text to on Monday.

Attachments:
NatureCover_Small_No_Text_05_Nov_01.png (2.2 MB)

Brad Carvey
1743 posts
bradcarvey
Off topic question for ndickson.
I am new to Houdini. I will be purchasing Houdini FX in the next few days. I used Apprentice HD to create the cover for the latest issue of Nature Magazine, my first project with Houdini. The embargo was lifted today, so I can talk about it. Should I post the cover on the forum? Where? I thought that Side Effects and Houdini users might like to see it.

Just saw the image in preview. I need to color correct it for viewing on a screen. The gamma is set for print. I will get the version that they added text to on Monday.
Awesome work! Are you an author on a paper/article in Nature? It's a huge honour to get chosen for the cover photo! Most people in VFX may not realize it, but getting your work on the cover of Nature as a scientist is less likely than winning an Oscar for best actor as a member of the Screen Actors Guild. I'm lucky enough to have been able to help write and run simulations for a paper accepted in Nature [nature.com], but we didn't get chosen for the cover image.

People often post their work, even finished work, in the Work In Progress board. I think people would be excited to see it. There's also the OdForce [odforce.net] forum managed by an independent group.
52 posts
Probably better offline, but your right, it's like an Oscar and VFX people wouldn't typically understand that. Nature also did a video and are doing a blog story about how it was created. Very cool. I wasn't an author. I got involved after the article was submitted.

I should have a full license of Houdini FX today. It may have been purchased for me already.

The image was not nearly as good as I wanted, but Houdini has a steep learning curve. I would have like to create better lighting and added some real temperature data and use that to color and illuminate the wake. I figured out how to get import temperature data (ev) and use a ramp to translate electron volts to color. I ran out of time getting those colors to properly illuminate the cloud material.
Brad Carvey
1743 posts
halfdan
I'll check in a fix for tomorrow's build that will make the STL reader automatically try to load as a binary, if the ASCII load fails.
Thanks! You beat me to it.

bradcarvey
Nature also did a video and are doing a blog story about how it was created.
Sweet! I'm sure people would like to see it when it's out.

I should have a full license of Houdini FX today.
It's good to know that the Apprentice program actually works to help people get going with Houdini.

The image was not nearly as good as I wanted, but Houdini has a steep learning curve. I would have like to create better lighting and added some real temperature data and use that to color and illuminate the wake. I figured out how to get import temperature data (ev) and use a ramp to translate electron volts to color. I ran out of time getting those colors to properly illuminate the cloud material.
It sounds like you've got all sorts of good ideas to keep going with, and ho boy does Houdini ever have a steep learning curve… if only to figure out how to work around the ton of bugs. :wink:
  • Quick Links