Licensing question (Indie)

4406   9   1
8 posts
Hi there, i have my fingers right over the order button of the indie version right now - but i have the situation here, that i spend most times on Linux, but sometimes, when i need ZBrush or Unity3D, i boot the same machine into another HD partition running windows.

So the question is: When i get one license, will it also run under windows, or do i need to return the license each time before booting into the other partition?

How about a license server, i have a linux server running 24/7, i am not sure, it says that the indie version is a ‘workstation’ license… i also found somewhere, that houdini license is cross plattform… so could i set up a dedicated license server and then connect from the windows and the linux partition with the same license?

Thanx in advance.
638 posts
i think it should work on both systems. (not 100% sure)

what you can do is to install on both partitions a Houdini Apprentice and look at the license manger if the licence server code is the same. get also in contact with sidefx.

btw. happy learning :-)
8 posts
mandrake0
what you can do is to install on both partitions a Houdini Apprentice and look at the license manger if the licence server code is the same.

Good idea, unfortunately it is different, same machine, different OS
638 posts
Heiko
mandrake0
what you can do is to install on both partitions a Houdini Apprentice and look at the license manger if the licence server code is the same.

Good idea, unfortunately it is different, same machine, different OS

get in contact with sidefx…. ask them.

maybe with the separate license server it will work. :-/
8 posts
I have and they answered surprisingly quick… they say that the license is on ip+hostname and they have customers that have managed to set up a multi boot environment and they are fine with it, but they recommend to get a workstation license for each partition. - i have ensured that i have same hostname + ip on both partitions but still server id is different… anyway, with the indy pricing i can live with two licenses. After all i recently got a maya license for a month just to find out that their Linux support sucks noodles, Houdini runs (almost) flawless (render preview is a bit weired) on Archlinux although they do not officially support it and i am happy to have a major 3d package for Linux at all, it's worth to support them with a few extra bucks i guess
606 posts
Often these things are tied to the first network mac address the system sees, and if the network adapters (lan+wlan) are enumerated in a different order then that might be the culprit. It might be a long shot, but you could try disabling unneeded network hardware on both, and see if that changes the host id…
638 posts
Heiko
I have and they answered surprisingly quick…

that's normal :-)

some time ago i sent a bug submit the feedback came in 20min…..
94 posts
mandrake0
Heiko
I have and they answered surprisingly quick…

that's normal :-)

some time ago i sent a bug submit the feedback came in 20min…..

That's because they are SideFx, not …. You name it
If you can't script/program it, it's no good at all !
638 posts
the maya thing:

what suprise me is that the maya linux version is not stable. when i last try it was looking stable and fast and it was on ubuntu. so i used alien to convert the rpm's to deb packages. maybe archlinux has some libs that are a bit diffrent compiled or something like that. you can try centos on that it should work flawless.

houdini:
you can buy one and when it works copy the license key file and install it on the other partion. when it works you have some bucks for later when you need more render/batch power. :-)
1642 posts
Heiko,

what do you mean by “rendering preview is a bit weird”?

It should be perfectly non-weird on Arch.
Martin Winkler
money man at Alarmstart Germany
  • Quick Links