python - filter nodes by type

13135   6   1
23 posts
I feel kind of stupid for asking this because I expected it to be really easy, but how would I get lets say all “Texture” VEX nodes in the whole script via python?

Cheers

Sebastian
299 posts
Might be a better way but you could do it with hou.node(“/”).allSubChildren() to get all nodes in the hip file and then loop through and check what nodeType they have.

EDIT: And ofc replace “/” with the path to your Network that contains the Texture nodes.
Drive, monkey, drive!
1908 posts
You could do something like this to get the hou.NodeType for the operator, than ask for its instances.
node_type = hou.nodeType(hou.vopNodeTypeCategory(), “texture”)
node_type.instances()
(<hou.VopNode of type texture at /obj/geo1/vopsop1/texture1>,)
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
23 posts
Thanks graham, works beautifully.

Investigating further this is not what I wanted. Actually I am trying to get a list of all images used in the current houdini file. The approach with just getting the texture nodes does not work because the map parm might be connected to a parameter node (promoted) so the map parm does not update. I have been looking into this but could not find out how. How do I find all images in a session in a general way (not just for mantrasurfaces, but for all textures used)?
obviously what I have been doing for maya and nuke a thousand times works in a completely different way in houdini….
1908 posts
Take a look at the hscript ‘opextern’ command.

You could also use the getExternalReferences() function in this module, as it is just a wrapper around opextern.

http://houdinitoolbox.com/houdini.php?asset=38 [houdinitoolbox.com]
Graham Thompson, Technical Artist @ Rockstar Games
23 posts
thanks, this will do the trick!
304 posts
whoa, I didn´t know about the “instances” method! What a great timesaver! I was looping through all nodes and comparing to get nodes of the same type.
Javier Meroño
FX TD.
  • Quick Links