Subdivide SOP troubles

1474   3   1
375 posts
Hi! I kind of finished a model piece and want to subdivide it.
So I added a subdivide SOP, chose “matra compatible catmull clark”, Depth 1.
As you can see in the enclosed picture, there a many problems: holes appear, some faces are not divided, edges are not extended across faces, OGL artifacts appear.
It seems that my base mesh is corrupted. But I have checked the points around the problematic area. I select points and check in the Geometry spreadsheet if they are double points: I didn't find any problematic points.
So what should I check next?
Thanks
G

Attachments:
Houdini-Subdivide-SOP-Bugger.jpg (258.7 KB)

Houdini gamboler
333 posts
seems like your geometry is not clean.

try removing the normals and fuse the points before the subdivide, maybe add a clean sop too before..

can u upload the model geo?
375 posts
hey Doudini!!!
Yes! Normals is what I forgot to check! So I selected some primitive faces and used a reverse op on them and voilà! No problem anymore!!
Thanks a lot!
BTW, what do you mean by “removing normals”?
Cheers and see ya soon,
G
Houdini gamboler
333 posts
Usually when you have Vertex Normals and do a Subdivide it wont output what you are looking for. Therefor I added the tip to remove the normals. You can use a “delete attribute” sop and put N to remove the Normals on Vertex.

btw. seems like you had a reversed primitive from a polyknit. you can get around this by doing the polyknit in the right direction, clockwise, so it will face the correct way.
  • Quick Links