My Digital Assets aren't loading with the project

3764   4   2
517 posts
Hi there,

I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around the way Digital Assets are loaded for a project.

Okay so I save a simple Digital Asset into the /HDA directory under the $JOB directory, now when I restart Houdini, and set the same project, the digital asset doesn't appear in my tab menu.

In the manual it says -
You can put assets specific to a project in $JOB/otls. See project management for how to set up $JOB.
http://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini15.0/assets/install [sidefx.com]
That sounds great, per job assets is exactly what Im trying to get working, but they just don't seem to load (i tried renaming the HDA dir to oils without any luck).

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong here?? Also are otl's and HDA's the same thing???

Thanks
Pete
818 posts
peteski
I'm having a bit of trouble getting my head around the way Digital Assets are loaded for a project.

Okay so I save a simple Digital Asset into the /HDA directory under the $JOB directory, now when I restart Houdini, and set the same project, the digital asset doesn't appear in my tab menu.
The asset directory isn't automatically searched. So you still have to install the HDA files manually per scene.

peteski
Also are otl's and HDA's the same thing???
Yup, they are exactly the same. The only difference is the file extension.
Andrew / アンドリュー
517 posts
Hey thanks for clarifying that. Seems like a bit of a shame they don't auto load is there any way to make your own tools that turn up in the TAB menu?
818 posts
The closest thing is probably using the 123.py or 456.py startup script to set HOUDINI_OTLSCAN_PATH according to the JOB environment variable. However, this means the “JOB” needs to already be set when Houdini starts, which might not always be the case. For example, the user could change project inside a running session.
Andrew / アンドリュー
517 posts
Hmmm, I always have to set the $JOB path when I start Houdini since it defaults to nothing set. Also I haven't ever messed with the scan path. I think I'll just manually load them for now.
  • Quick Links