Q: copy point colors onto new geo?

4030   6   2
147 posts
Hi,

I'm trying to move point colors over to merged geometry.

I have simple, textured geometry. This is merged with a simple copy operation of a sphere.
So I have the same model, but now with added spheres on top.

How can I transfer the texture information from the original geo over to the merged model? I tried every attribute node in the list, but cannot seem to get there.
Just point color information would be sufficient here, but full uv/texture would be even better. ;-)

thanks!

rob
Apprentice Attribute / Houdini 17.0.381 / GTX 970 - driver 411.63
252 posts
There is an option in the copy SOP to “Use Template Point Attributes” under the Attribute Tab..

Or, have you tried playing around with the Attribute Transfer SOP?

It would also be great if you could provide a simple scene file in-case the above didn't solve your problem
147 posts
Hi,

Sure, that often works best to get the message across
And yes, tried both, as you can see in the example. It must be something very simple I'm not seeing atm….

cheers!

Rob

scenefile [rowumedia.nl]
252 posts
Copy SOP seems to be behaving strangely.. I managed to track down the source of error. It seems to be coming from the point attribute “shop_materialpath”.. so I simply added an Attribute Delete to fix it.

I'm not particulary sure why it's causing the error though. Maybe Copy SOP does not know what to do with string attribute types?

Error:
Unrecognized file type "".

Attached is the fixed file.

H15.5.607 Indie NC

Attachments:
rubbertoy_wire_sphere_test_v2.hipnc (363.3 KB)
point_colors_to_geo.JPG (18.0 KB)

147 posts
Hi,

Thanks for that!

After your scene, I had another look as well, and found out you don't need the ‘attribute delete’ node in the beginning, when you check vertices in the ‘attribute transfer node. It’s not checked by default.

I re-did the setup in a clean scene again just to be sure, but it works. With so many options in H, it's easy to loose the overview I guess

Again, thanks for looking into this, and getting me back on track!

rob
252 posts
Glad to be of some help

I will post on a different thread regarding the Copy SOP error.. I looked at it again, we may be on to a bug of some sort.
147 posts
Cool!

Will keep an eye on this one for sure

rob
  • Quick Links