H16 fur and displacement

5801   11   3
702 posts
I could not find any posts on how to handle fur generation on skin that has displacement maps applied.

Old school fur had the displacement map parameter, I cannot find this.

is it something I need to apply in the groom modifier subnet or is the feature forthcoming?
1755 posts
Interested in this as well.
1265 posts
Use a guide process under the hair groom. You can find displacement under the Operation drop down.

Unfortunately it's broken and has been for a while. I submitted a bug report a while back.
Werner Ziemerink
Head of 3D
www.luma.co.za
1755 posts
Oh. ALright, thanks Werner
702 posts
hmmm…will have to ping SESI on this …a broken tool is no tool at all…
702 posts
SESI confirms this is the method to use, and they are looking into fixing the issue. no eta as of yet…
702 posts
According to the change logs:

Houdini 16.0.535 Fixed a bug in the Guide Process SOP that caused a cook error when set to “Displace”.

time to test!
12 posts
Yup interested in this too, so thanks loads!
702 posts
Houdini 16.0.572 Added skin displacement to the hair generate object.

by default, the generated hair will now be displaced by the values set up on the skin shader, if it is a standard houdini shader with the expected values.

looks like this is the one we have been waiting for!
スタッフ
637 posts
sidenimjay
looks like this is the one we have been waiting for!

I hope so, let me know how it works for you.

There is also a manual mode where you can set up texture, scale and offset values. Only scalar (displace along normal) displacement so far - I'll vector displacement when I get the time.
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
702 posts
Kai,

this works great with a principled or classic shader…but doesnt seem to obey my custom shader with displacement using a displace along normals. I watched the shader master class and attempted to match the exports and options that may be on the principled or classic shader but still no success using a custom material displacement to drive the hair..perhaps i am still missing something

in the event that custom shaders are bit supported yet, if I am using a parameter to drive the displacement map or using udim to drive it, is there a way to apply that using the displace along normal parameter on the hair generate object?

Attachments:
fur_custom_shader_displace.hiplc (2.5 MB)

スタッフ
637 posts
Hi,

the setup is quite simple and just looks for parameters of certain names. It doesn't expect the shader to be of a certain node type.

One solution for your custom shader would be to add invisible copies of the existing parameters for texture path, offset and scale to the shader. Give those copies the exact names of those parameters on the principled & classic shader (dispTex_texture, dispTex_offset, dispTex_scale). Those would be picked up seamlessly by the Match Skin Shader and Match Specified Shader options.

Hair Generate also picks up some additional shader parameters like vm_truedisplace, dispTex_enable and dispTex_type to disable displacement when it is disabled in mantra. If they don't exist they are assumed to be enabled.

The other option would be to use the Displace Along Normal option on hair generate and link up those values manually.

Udims should work with both methods.
Kai Stavginski
Senior Technical Director
SideFX
  • Quick Links