Is there an alternative to hou.IPRViewer.pixel("C", x, y)

3482   5   3
8 posts
Hi guys,
I was working in a python tool that grabs the IPR aka RenderView, at regular intervals in a different thread, but it takes quite a long time since I need to build a byte buffer scanning each pixel. Isn't there any python method in the hou module for this, that either returns a rgba buffer or at least can save the current render view to a file?

Cheers,
Daniel
Edited by dgsantana - 2017年4月20日 06:20:44
Technical Director / Co-founder
You can do it! VFX
Lisbon / Porto
Portugal
スタッフ
586 posts
Hi Daniel,

It looks like there currently isn't a way to access the entire RGBA image with a single hou method. I've created an RFE to add one (RFE #82333), and will see if I can implement it this week.

Taylor
8 posts
tpetrick
Hi Daniel,

It looks like there currently isn't a way to access the entire RGBA image with a single hou method. I've created an RFE to add one (RFE #82333), and will see if I can implement it this week.

Taylor

Awesome Taylor. Will it work with any of the image planes in RenderView or just the Color? This is related to something we are working on

Cheers,
Daniel
You can do it! VFX
Lisbon / Porto
Portugal
スタッフ
586 posts
Cool video!

The new Python method “hou.IPRViewer.pixels('image_plane')” is available in last night's 16.0 build - if needed, I can backport to 15.5 as well. The method works more or less the same as the existing “hou.IPRViewer.pixel(..)” call, however it isn't restricted to a particular (x,y) coordinate. It takes an image plane name as a parameter, and returns all of the image data as a tuple of float tuples, in row major order. Result is the pixel value at (0,0), result is the image data for (1,0), etc. Data starts from the bottom left corner of the IPR render result, like the other IPR inspection tools.

For example:

width = viewer.imageResolution()[0]
color_pixels = viewer.pixels("C")
pixel_200x300 = color_pixels[width*200 + 300]
8 posts
Awesome.I will try this as soon as possible. A backport would be nice. It would allow us to support H15.5 also. We built this tool to help us visualise the end result in the device while still making image tweaks. It will be available soon.

Cheers,
Daniel
Edited by dgsantana - 2017年4月26日 14:57:04
You can do it! VFX
Lisbon / Porto
Portugal
12490 posts
I'm going to look at this myself soon. I would also be interested in the same functionality for Mantra – which I might invoke with a Mantra Tile Callback. Would this be possible?

Regards,
Jason
Edited by jason_iversen - 2017年5月25日 12:32:03
Jason Iversen, Technology Supervisor & FX Pipeline/R+D Lead @ Weta FX
also, http://www.odforce.net [www.odforce.net]
  • Quick Links