Performance difference between AttributeVOP SOP and Wrangle SOP?

2649   3   0
527 posts
I keep hearing people mention that a Wrangle SOP performs much faster than doing the same operations in an AttributeVOP SOP. How true is this?

For fun when ever I make a Wrangle I recreate next to it the same operation in VOPs and compare. Initially it seemed true as there was always a 0.1 second difference in favor of the Wrangle. I assumed the small gap was due to how small of a data set I was dealing with. I then upped the size of the data sets into the millions and still only saw that tiny fraction of a second difference. Which leaves me to wonder in what cases does the Wrangle truly perform that much faster? As of now it only looks like there is a hair of overhead for initializing the VOP layer.
soho vfx
15 posts
because Wrangle's vop only have a snippet node!
166 posts
It's probably faster for people that know and like to write code. Otherwise VOPs is just fine for the rest of us.
8539 posts
essentially there should be no significant difference if you ignore the initial compile time after you edit either of them
the compiler should take care of optimizing either your code or VOP network, so for equivalent setups it should compile to the same operator

the differences may however come from using different workflows, like in VOPs you usually use Parameter or Ramp Parameter nodes to access the interface while in wrangles you heavily rely on ch*() functions, not sure how they compare performance wise, but these kind of differences in code may contribute to it
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
  • Quick Links