Simple modelling question about punching holes into quads

1388   5   1
2 posts
Hello I have a hard time with modelling in Houdini. How do you punch holes into geometry

is there a workflow like this, done in modo?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z3shqwnGoE [www.youtube.com]

thx Chris
44 posts
How about using a boolean node? Not sure what you need to do but in this case, I added some edge loops, inset the tops and then subdivided, before boolean (subtract).

Attachments:
Capture1.JPG (27.1 KB)
Capture2.JPG (68.7 KB)

21 posts
For a flat (or oddly positioned like your second example) plane and a circular hole, you can select the primitives you want out of the way, delete them, then drop a polydraw, hold shift and drag-select the points on the edge of the hole, then press shift+C to create a circle.
320 posts
if you have the geometry, then click on a square group of polygons, select MOVE then right click and choose make circle, delete resulting polygons, then drop a subdivide node.
44 posts
bobc4d
if you have the geometry, then click on a square group of polygons, select MOVE then right click and choose make circle, delete resulting polygons, then drop a subdivide node.

Cool! Thanks for that tip.

Attachments:
Capture.PNG (326.5 KB)

2 posts
Thank you very much for your help - I finally I think the solution over selection -move-tool- make curve is working, on the tube example I used topobuild to bring back the curvature of the tube. Is there any other solution?

thx Chris

Attachments:
_HOLETUBE_PUNCHING_.jpeg (185.2 KB)

• Quick Links