Anyone use a 3dconnexion mouse?

1953   3   1
1 posts
TIL that this exists. I'm definitely interested; but the documentation for Houdini compatibility is sketchy at best. Do you use this with Houdini and if so, how well do the functions work?

I'm looking at the Spacemouse Enterprise because I can see that being extremely useful, assuming I can assign shortcuts to create commonly used nodes (merge, material, boolean, etc); but I have no idea if that would work or not.

For about $380 it needs to work as I expect; but there's no good documentation, which should be a red flag. I got the 3dx 700056 on eBay for a couple hundred bucks, I love it. Not until recently it became compatible. The only annoying thing that bothers me is that it doesnt always know which window you want to look in even if your mouse cursor is in that window . So you have to only use a single viewing window. I also use a lot of the custom macros in other programs like resolve.
806 posts
Hi,

I cannot fully follow your comment - but I do use 3d-mouses (mice?) all the time and actually behave irresponsibly weird when a 3d program does not support this input device.
That said, from my experience (I own five or six devices) you probably won't need any of the fancy button features of the more expensive ones. Even the most basic “knob-only” ones deliver what those devices are about. There is a learning curve or “getting used to” time and some people never get into the habit of using a 3d mouse, so I can only suggest NOT investing too much money before you know that “this is it” for you.

I recommend buying a second-hand spacemouse, which you should get for 30-40 Euro (or equivalent monopoly money), use it for some time, try out how to set it up so that it *works* for you and then, if it does work, sell it for 40-50 Euro and buy THE ONE device you want.

Marc
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
900 posts
on the website Houdini is listed as certified software. But only for Windows
806 posts
Sometimes you just wish people wouldn't pop in here, post a question that one has to guess to interpret and then leave without any clarification.
---
Out of here. Being called a dick after having supported Houdini users for years is over my paygrade.
I will work for money, but NOT for "you have to provide people with free products" Indie-artists.
Good bye.
https://www.marc-albrecht.de [www.marc-albrecht.de]
  • Quick Links