Node locked license confusion

12826   5   4
345 posts
Hi,

Could someone explain me briefly how node locked license suppose to work with houdini? I was wandering if the license is sticked to a one computer what happens if I want to upgrade my hardware. Should I put the same ethernet card to a new machine or do I need some kind of dongle which allows me to run houdini with the computer I am working at the moment?

As far as I understand floating license can be installed on the server and it allows to run houdini on any machine.

But how about the node locked - instaled on one computer stays with this hardware forever?

Thank you

Kuba
4140 posts
As far as I understand floating license can be installed on the server and it allows to run houdini on any machine.

Any machine on the same class network, yes.

But how about the node locked - instaled on one computer stays with this hardware forever?

Same NIC, yes. It's pretty rare that NIC's get replaced during the life of a machine. If ever that happens, or you get a new machine and want to upgrade, as long as you've been on support you can contact SESI and they will transfer your license.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
345 posts
Now it seems pretty straightforward. I was just thinking if one day SESI change their licensing system to dongles to make single users' life easier. (if there are any…)

Thanks John

Kuba
4140 posts
Dongles? *Brrrrr*. Should all be collected, thrown in a pit, showered with gasoline then set alight. Then sow the ground with salt.

But that's just my opinion.

I think you'll find it's really not terribly inconvenient. In fact, the odds of a license server getting upgraded or needing a NIC replacement are just as likely as the node locked work station(not much). Really, node lock just means you're running a couple of cuts. Much more, you should probably get a server.

When you have a catastrophy, systems crash, and a simple call to SESI has you up and running again within the hour, you appreciate the value of keeping centrally distributed hardware away from the software licensing process.

Cheers,

J.C.
John Coldrick
1192 posts
While I do hate dongles, with an USB dongle you can have some flexibility. I'm thinking about the typical scenario in which you can take the dongle with you at home and work on the laptop over the weekend, for example.

Dragos
Dragos Stefan
producer + director @ www.dsg.ro
www.dragosstefan.ro
1529 posts
While I do hate dongles, with an USB dongle you can have some flexibility. I'm thinking about the typical scenario in which you can take the dongle with you at home and work on the laptop over the weekend, for example.

Until they get misplaced – or eaten by the family pet :?
  • Quick Links