Small (annoying) problem with having nodes autoconnect

1596   1   1
1 posts
Hi guys! I have a small problem which bugs me for a while. Whenever I drop a new node into the network via the Tab popup menu and I hover with the node before dropping it just close enough to an existing node, a wire connection is created automatically between the 2 nodes after I finally drop the node.
However when I try to do the same thing with a node for which I've assigned a hotkey it does not work, so after pressing the hotkey and dropping the node making sure is close enough to other node in the network view the 2 nodes are not automatically connected no matter how close I try to hover to the existing node.
Do you know why is that and if there is a fix for it? I know it's a small thing but I want to work faster by using hotkeys to different nodes and is kind of annoying to drop and connect the nodes after.
4530 posts
Hi,

How are you assigning hotkeys to your nodes? I created my own hotkey system but it doesn't work like the tab menu, in that the node tile is not attached to the cursor, rather it drops the node tile right where your cursor is, as soon as you press the hotkey, and as such I can do all kinds of custom behaviour from auto connecting to selected nodes to handling multiple nodes and inputs, etc.

But if you are relying on what the default tab/hotkey behaviour gives you, you might see an inconsistent behaviour that SESI might or might not fix. Best to submit it in any case

Senior FX TD @ Industrial Light & Magic
Get to the NEXT level in Houdini & VEX with Pragmatic VEX! [www.pragmatic-vfx.com]

youtube.com/@pragmaticvfx | patreon.com/animatrix | pragmaticvfx.gumroad.com
  • Quick Links