Seeking some advice on how to do specific terrain styles

1562   1   1
68 posts
Hi guys,
I think I'm blocked by the following challenges
I need to create a bunch of hills with a very tall and sharp main mountain.
So in terms of topology, the main mountain has periodical hard ridges (see the red lines)
I feel that after several noise and erosion attemps, I cannot get the ideal results. The hydro erosions create streams and incisions; thermal erosions causes a massive slump and make the moutain looks to have a concave hillside, rather than a hard and sharp rocky one.

I think that this kind of mountain is caused by natual squeeze of rock plates, and it is the wind that primarily shapes its sharp and rocky surface; and I currently cannot think up a way to do this.

The other picture is mountains that have strata exposed. It still causes some confusion to me. I.e, in UE4 we have a demo landscape that uses shaders to put x/y world cordinate to U, and vertical z world cordinate to V to fake a stata effect.

But here I want create a strata that with incision into some of layers. I tried mask by features and create manual steps on the height ramp but that strata I got is way too much thick…
Edited by goose7 - 2020年10月24日 11:38:05

Attachments:
ref1.png (3.6 MB)
ref2.png (2.3 MB)

85 posts
Hi,

There is an older but relevant article I wrote for 3d World mag (issue 243), it's available online:
Build terrain in Houdini 17 (orig. title: Discover Houdini’s terrain toolset) [www.creativebloq.com]

I have no clue whether the bedrock stuff works in H18.5 or they changed the workflow, but might check…
Edited by xilofoton - 2020年10月24日 13:04:07
artstation.com/scivfx
  • Quick Links