Poly-reduce with holes

1825   3   0
79 posts
I have a problem I'm not sure how to get around. I'm sure one of you guys will have a simple and elegant solution to this…

I need to poly-reduce some assets and the poly-reduce sop works very well in most situations, but here is a situation that causes me a lot headaches :

Sometimes, my high-resolution meshes ends up with little holes/missing polygons in them like this:

…it doesn't really matter for us when we render the high-res mesh since we never see these holes. They are occluded and super small.

But when we poly-reduce this mesh, these small holes become big holes like this:

…which now becomes a big problem.

How can I make sure my poly-reduce operation ignores small holes like this and treats the surface like a fully closed surface?

I though of using a polycap, but that closes the bottom surface as well and creates a weird shape in the end. I don't want that bottom to be capped, but I do need these small holes to be closed so my poly-reduce gives me clean results.

In this particular case, I could go and close those holes up by hand, but I have thousands of meshes to process, some with thousands of these small holes. So I'm looking for an automatic process that can close these small holes so that my poly-reduce operations can give me clean results.

Any suggestions?
Edited by MathieuLeclaire - 2020年11月3日 18:35:18

Attachments:
HighRes_with_holes.jpg (190.7 KB)
LowRes_with_holes.jpg (142.3 KB)
polyreduce_with_holes.hip (903.0 KB)

79 posts
I just figured out a solution…

I'm measuring the throughout area of the mesh, then cap it. Then I measure the area per element. I divide the per element to the throughout area and if the ratio is bigger then a threshold, then it's the large bottom cap and I delete that polygon.

I'm not sure if it's the best solution, but it works. I'm open to other suggestions if there's an easier one.
Edited by MathieuLeclaire - 2020年11月3日 18:46:51
555 posts
haven't had a chance to try the file but isn't there a retain by attrib ? so say you cap these small holes, tag these new polies with say “retain me”…feed these into polyreduce…then delete these retain me later.
555 posts
or possibly easier…group border edges (holes)…then in reduce, use these as hard edges
here's a quick test with eyeholes
Edited by vusta - 2020年11月5日 06:26:02

Attachments:
test_reduce.hipnc (231.9 KB)

• Quick Links