Solaris: how to auto read Z up usd files to flip them to Y

1547   3   1
651 posts
Hi. Without starting any flame wars about which is the correct up Z or Y. I am trying to export moving geometry cached as usd from Blender 3.0. If I transform the geo to be Y up it looks correct until you render with motion blur which seems 45 degrees off. I do need to do more testing however. The Blender community's general response is everyone else should just be Z up.

So Looking at the Nvida Attic demo which is Z up https://developer.nvidia.com/usd [developer.nvidia.com] I can save it out again from Solaris as a rather large usda file and I can see it is Z up..

defaultPrim = "Root"
doc = """Generated from Composed Stage of root layer
"""
endTimeCode = 1
metersPerUnit = 0.009999999776482582
startTimeCode = 1
upAxis = "Z"
)

So what I am wondering is. Is there anyway Solaris can read the Z/Y up data and auto correct to Solaris's stage. Some kind of "read up axis and compensate" option.?

Best
7796 posts
Mark Wallman
The Blender community's general response is everyone else should just be Z up.

Only shoegazers use Z up.
7796 posts
Mark Wallman
So what I am wondering is. Is there anyway Solaris can read the Z/Y up data and auto correct to Solaris's stage. Some kind of "read up axis and compensate" option.?

I would think a transform node would do the job. sounds like something is broken if motionblur is going wacky.
651 posts
Hi
OK folks. It seems like the nice people at Nvidia have branched Blender and have a much better version of the USD exporter that can flip Y or Z up. It is in the free nVidia Omniverse Launcher.

Best
  • Quick Links