Vellum sim broken on a specific shot, but not others

1429   6   0
11 posts
Hey guys,

So have been working on a vellum paper sim on a bunch (+50) shots. Everything was going well until one specific scene where the sim breaks. As you can see I am getting "tenting" and garbled pieces everywhere.

Overview: So I am using a scatter, popnet, copy to points , vellum constraints, then feeding into the vellum solver (SOP), applying wind, drag and noise etc. It is a very simple set up. Suddenly on a new shot with different positions (more on that later) on the assets (collision objects etc) I started getting artifacts so I deleted everything and copied a set up from a working scene. I tested the working scene and the new scene side by side with the same source for the paper notes (from lookdev): but the new scene was still broken. Then I took the working scene and "saved as" into the folder of the broken shot, and just replaced the emitter plane, same thing: broken. The funny thing is that if I used the old emitter plane, it works, but as soon as I animated it to match the shot it breaks again. I repeated this a bunch of times with no luck. The only difference that I could see between the working scene and the broken scene was the position of the assets. In the working scene they are about 50 units from the origin at a scale of 0.01, but for the broken scene they are 650 units from the origin (after scaling down by 0.01). Of course I tried to transform the whole scene with a null to the orgin to test but that didn't work either. Has anyone ever had a similar issue?

Attachments:
vellum_issue.jpg (7.4 MB)

679 posts
Can you post the file?

Cheers
CYTE
11 posts
sorry it is an air-gapped work file, that I cannot share
8551 posts
I don't really know what I'm looking at
So it's difficult to imagine what issues you are facing and what broken means vs not broken in your case

But maybe try deleting all attributes before vellum nodes, since you are saying you copied on particles
It's important to delete attributes liek i@id, since they may interfere with vellum

However if you are saying it works for other shots using the same setup this may not be the issue
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
11 posts
sorry, here is what it is suppposed to look like (I posted the wrong pic above). I will try deleting the attributes too, but it is strange that it has been working without issue for months. The only difference I can see is the distance from the orgin in the new shot.

Attachments:
vellum_issue_desired.jpg (8.9 MB)

8551 posts
pskaifa
Of course I tried to transform the whole scene with a null to the orgin to test but that didn't work either. Has anyone ever had a similar issue?
if it's a precision issue this would not help as the computation is done in object space
so transforming that object with a parent null or its own transform is a post-operation

you can try transforming the geo itself closer to origin, with Transform SOP inside of the object for all inputs of the Vellum Solver

or alternatively you can try casting P attribute on all of your Vellum Solver inputs to 64bit
I however don't know if Vellum Solver can take advantage of it, so its a long shot
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
11 posts
ok looks like transforming the assets manually closer to the origin at the SOP level worked! thanks!!! @tamte
  • Quick Links