Save and organize operator presets into subfolders

1404   3   2
4 posts
Good morning everyone

When I create hdas I have the possibility to organize them in subfolders, so as to distinguish them by type, facilitate the search and not have to scroll through dozens and dozens of names.

Is there any way to organize Operator presets in the same way?
For example, my list of Attribute Wrangle presets includes dozens of names - can they be organized into subfolders?

I noticed that SideFx Labs has a new "Trim Excess Fractional Digits" preset within the "Labs" section: I refer to this kind of organization.

Thank you so much for your help.

Max
Edited by massimobaita - 2022年10月19日 10:43:51

Attachments:
Labs-TrimExcessFractionalDigits.jpg.20d9f8f5c2ca11f825523368561fffb1.jpg (34.6 KB)

4 posts
Can anyone give me some suggestions?
1 posts
I was searching as well and came across this old thread. I did some digging but will abandon my effort again (I think I've tried this a few times over the years).

There is documentation on creating menus here: https://www.sidefx.com/docs/houdini/basics/config_menus.html [www.sidefx.com]

I was able to create my own menu however populating it with existing vex snippets was a no go. The Labs menu is created at run-time and contains a script in itself. Generally, it seems designed to point at py scripts or other known menu items.

The next best solution which I'll live with was to use hidx to unpack the attributewrangle.idx where I could then modify the ascii files before repacking to binary for usage. In this I've renamed my mix of snippets with a prefix so at least I know which are mine. This also follows the pattern of libraries like Aelib and qLib.

hidx is in the $HFS/bin and will display help info when run from cmd.
311 posts
Hi, I”m pretty sure that if you organize your nodes including settings (also vex) to the shelf (drag n’ drop) you can access them from the network editor tab menu. One shelf can be used for one category of nodes with presets.

Unfortunately the parm values will not migrate to a selected node, but you get a new node with predefined parms.

The good part is that this is already implemented. It should be license agnostic AFAIK.

Edit: I’ve not had time for Houdini for a long time so please let me/us know if this is meaningful to you and you can’t use it. I did some code related with this previously because this functionality is in the HOM. If you export node as code your parms will not be generic, but they will if you use the shelf. There is a function for this in the HOM (and I don’t remember the name of it). Actually I built this export/import thing and it support regular OS-folders but it took too much time to be released for free. Also I’m not sure what SideFX would think about such a ”powerful” thing.
Edited by SWest - 2024年4月17日 09:52:17
Interested in character concepts, modeling, rigging, and animation. Related tool dev with Py and VEX.
  • Quick Links