Glue packed RBD to animated geo?

967   4   1
357 posts
I have an animation of a laptop screen opening up; after it opens I want to break the screen open (have a hole in the screen); the screen geo was just a flat plane so I did some extrudes and so forth. My idea to get this done was to have the screen be active RBD, then have the outer lid be not active but deforming geo, then glue constraint the screen to the outer lid; So, the now dynamic screen would animate with the outer lid and I could break it anyway I want. But frustrating all I've had are problems. The screen tries to move with the outer lid but fails to keep up.

Would love some guidance on this type of setup.
hou.f*ckatdskmaya().forever()
8598 posts
traileverse
then have the outer lid be not active but deforming geo
Don't make it deforming, but rather animated
Make sure you pack the lid while it's static and do animation on top of packed prim then turn it into animated not active and constraint the screen to it
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
357 posts
tamte
traileverse
then have the outer lid be not active but deforming geo
Don't make it deforming, but rather animated
Make sure you pack the lid while it's static and do animation on top of packed prim then turn it into animated not active and constraint the screen to it

Thanks a lot, animated works! is animated just using the packed prim intrinsic transform?

So deform is for point level animation and I have point level animation here, why doesn’t deform work?
8598 posts
Yes, animated is using packedfulltransform

Deforming should also work, but for attaching constraints to deforming geo you need to attach them to points or vertices directly by specifying anchor_id and anchor_type attributes so it may be more involved and unnecessary for rigid deformations like you are describing

In case your geo is deforming rigidly and you want to turn it into animated packed prim (so extracting rigid transform and put on top of static packed geo) you can use RBD Deforming To Animated SOP
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
357 posts
tamte
Yes, animated is using packedfulltransform

Deforming should also work, but for attaching constraints to deforming geo you need to attach them to points or vertices directly by specifying anchor_id and anchor_type attributes so it may be more involved and unnecessary for rigid deformations like you are describing

In case your geo is deforming rigidly and you want to turn it into animated packed prim (so extracting rigid transform and put on top of static packed geo) you can use RBD Deforming To Animated SOP

Thanks again tamte, really appreciate it!
  • Quick Links