Solaris/Karma Distant displacement quality?

1104   2   3
47 posts
Hi all,

hopefully this is an easy one, but I just can't find the right setting. In Solaris and Karma, I got a simple scene set up the using Houdini Large Ocean shelf tools. Problem is that the ocean displacement/dicing cuts off very harshly. If I move the viewport around after the render has started it's easy to see that the displacement quality gets very low with the distance.

To confirm this isn't a problem with the ocean spectra itself, I can restart the render at a different position and the "displacement fade off" also moves with the camera.

I've tried cranking up the dicing samples to 2 and also tried keeping the Offscreen Quality at 1, but it doesn't seem to solve the issue. Is there a distance parameter somewhere I can modify, or is there anything else I'm overlooking here?

Render from camera

Closer inspection of the geometry after rendering has started

Attachments:
water_cam.png (1.3 MB)
water_persp_side.png (3.4 MB)

スタッフ
4168 posts
Try reducing the "Anti-Alias Blur" on the Ocean Shader.

There are also some dicing improvements that require a special environment variable in Houdini 19.5. This is because they change the look, and some folks have final renders using the existing dicing. But you can try setting KARMA_DICING_LEGACY to 0, and see if that also helps improve the look of ocean displacements.

https://www.sidefx.com/changelog/Main/?journal=&categories=&body=KARMA_DICING_LEGACY&version=&build_min=&build_max=&show_versions=on&show_compatibility=on&items_per_page= [www.sidefx.com]
I'm o.d.d.
47 posts
Thank you! Yes, that did a solid difference. I also dissected and re-built the Karma Ocean HDA to our own needs. So everything works great now. Consistent and as-expected renders from our farm.
  • Quick Links