Exporting animation in a SOP Create Node

902   3   1
19 posts
Hello.
So having a "regular" Geometry Node(SOPs) with TSR animation and saving that via USDExport and then importing into Solaris is pretty straightforward. But is it necessary to use the USDExport Node if you have everything inside a SOP Create Node inside Solaris?

I ask this because I tried out a setup where I had animation in a SOP Create Node inside Solaris and then exported the USDROP result to Unreal Engine but everything was just static without the TSR animation inside Unreal.

What is the best way to do this.
333 posts
Any geometry that goes into Solaris is necessarily a USD, so anything that you're generating/importing that is not in a USD format will be converted.

If you're using SOP Create / SOP Import, Houdini is doing a live conversion to USD on-the-fly, so you'll get that overhead. Once your changes are locked in, you'd ideally want to write them to USD, for better performance in Solaris.

Apart from that, everything should work - not sure why your export did not - maybe post your settings/scene.
19 posts
eikonoklastes
Any geometry that goes into Solaris is necessarily a USD, so anything that you're generating/importing that is not in a USD format will be converted.

If you're using SOP Create / SOP Import, Houdini is doing a live conversion to USD on-the-fly, so you'll get that overhead. Once your changes are locked in, you'd ideally want to write them to USD, for better performance in Solaris.

Apart from that, everything should work - not sure why your export did not - maybe post your settings/scene.

Thanks for the info, it puts me on the right path.
However I realised that it isnt a Houdini issue cos I am able to reimport it and playback in Solaris. It is rather how to get it into sequencer in Unreal and get the playback. That is where the issue lies. I am able to import through the USD stage but playback is the issue.
19 posts
okay, so all i needed to do was to use Actions > Import in the USD Stage in Unreal. OR Find level sequence in the details panel
Works. huh !!
Edited by Kwesikwaa - 2023年8月18日 23:52:36
  • Quick Links