Adding materials/material slots to HDA meshes

1197   1   0
7 posts
Hello,
I've looked around all over the internet, and tried a lot of what I found, but I have a specific problem that other solutions don't seem to fix.

I can't add multiple materials to my HDA-generated meshes.

I created an simple tree-generator to be used in Unreal Engine via the Houdini Engine for Unreal. I created a material node containing two materials, which I then assigned to groups containing the wood and leaves respectively. When I bring the HDA into Unreal, the geometry is generated with only a single material (the default Houdini material.)

What I've seen on the internets thus far is people putting out multiple objects with multiple materials, or trying to match up specific materials in Unreal to HDA output geometry. This thread [www.sidefx.com] was close to what I needed, but the steps here aren't working in my case.

I'm would expect that there should be two materials with material slots named after what I called the mats in Houdini.
Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong? Here are pictures to help explain the issue.

(Edit: I looked at the Cook Logs and found an error mentioning the named shaders I made. Will look into this further.)
Edited by DG IT - 2023年9月14日 03:02:10

Attachments:
help 1.png (507.4 KB)
help 2.png (36.1 KB)
help 3.png (5.0 KB)

7 posts
I made a little progress. I had a tree hierarchy node with "assign trunk/brank/leaf materials separately" checked. I unchecked this box and I was able to get the HDA to output multiple materials in UE5. The material slot names are not at all what I named the materials, but I'm just happy to have multiple slots at this point. And they are assigned to the correct parts of the mesh as well.
Edited by DG IT - 2023年9月14日 04:28:34

Attachments:
help 4.png (56.0 KB)

• Quick Links