Karma xpu shader switch ?

1058   3   0
48 posts
Hello, I'm trying to play with karma xpu and see if it could become a replacement to redshift but I have some trouble reproducing some shader I have from redshift.

I'm used to the RS Shader switch that allow switching from one material to another using an integer attribute but I can't get to reproduce that behavior on karma, is it possible ?

on exemple is having a few Karma hair shader, one configured for a specific kind of fur and use a integer attribute on each fur primitive to decide which shader to use.
I'm confused about what kind of node can work together with the usd, materialx and other karma specific node, I just don't understand what you can plug together and what not.

can anybody help me with that ?

Thanks !
7770 posts
It's not possible to blend materials yet with XPU. The switching/blending would need to happen on the parameter side of a single shared shader. Alternatively, the attribute could be used the partition the hairs beforehand into multiple primitives or into geomsubsets. Then, multiple materials can be assigned to the different primitives or geomsubsets.
48 posts
splitting the geo before is probably possible when it come to fur, but trying to create more complex shader where material need to blend seamlessly sound a little bit more harder to do this way.

if it not for xpu, is it possible with the cpu version ? which node would that be if yes ?
Can I hope for karma xpu to build the same kind of shader I can with redshift ? that mean having shader/material switch, OSL scripting, or blending multiple material on top of another ?

Thanks for your help anyway !
193 posts
here to revive the old thread and ask specifically if osl support is planned ?
  • Quick Links