How can I reverse a Filecache reading?

1023   6   0
17 posts
Hello,

I'm using a filecache to save a popnet simulation, how can I read it inverted to obtain like "a backward effect" of my sim??
Of course I already tried with a negative increment, but it didn't work...

Is it possible directly into the filecache or not? Maybe with a Timeshift after the Filecache?

Thanks in advance for your answers!
7805 posts
I'm not sure if it's possible directly on the filecache, but you can do it with a timeshift afterwards.
17 posts
jsmack
I'm not sure if it's possible directly on the filecache, but you can do it with a timeshift afterwards.

With a Timeshift why not but how do I that? Because I can't use a negative substep for a Frame Range...
17 posts
OK it works if I just reverse the Output Frame Range, Houdini understand itself the negative step! Cool!

But... When I play backward the sim, I lose the orient of the point for the last frame, and for an appearance effect it's a mess into the pieces of my object... :/
17 posts
Oups! Everything works now! Weird, maybe a bad sim cache effect... Thanks a lot jsmack !
Edited by ShkYo30 - 2023年10月11日 13:34:53
7805 posts
ShkYo30
OK it works if I just reverse the Output Frame Range, Houdini understand itself the negative step! Cool!

But... When I play backward the sim, I lose the orient of the point for the last frame, and for an appearance effect it's a mess into the pieces of my object... :/

I'm not sure where you're seeing an output frame range, is that with the retime node?
With the timeshift node there is only a frame or time parameter, so to reverse the playback, remap the frame value to the reversed range. For example, put $FEND-$F+$FSTART for the frame expression, or link to the file caches start and end parameters instead of using the global variables.
17 posts
jsmack
I'm not sure where you're seeing an output frame range, is that with the retime node?
With the timeshift node there is only a frame or time parameter, so to reverse the playback, remap the frame value to the reversed range. For example, put $FEND-$F+$FSTART for the frame expression, or link to the file caches start and end parameters instead of using the global variables.

Ok I understand well your tip, and it's noted! Thanks for the idea!

In my case, I just inverted the "Output frame range" in "Fit range" mode and Houdini understood to use a negative step (look the screenshot just below), cool!

Again, thank you so much, you saved my day!!
Edited by ShkYo30 - 2023年10月11日 16:56:50

Attachments:
Capture_retime.JPG (43.1 KB)

• Quick Links